Luque, Paraugay will host the draw for the 2020 CONMEBOL Sudamericana, which is set for December 17th. 44 sides will participate in the competition, and the 2020 CONMEBOL Sudamericana Final will be held in Córdoba, Argentina. A full list of teams already qualified can be found here.
FIRST PHASE DRAW
To determine the first phase matchups, which will be played over two legs in February, the 44 teams will be divided into two zones to prevent teams from the same country being drawn together.
South Zone: Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay
North Zone: Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Venezuela
- The teams will be divided into two pots. The 22 teams from the South Zone will be placed into Pot A, with Pot B containing the 22 teams from the North Zone.
- The draw will start with a team from Pot A being drawn, followed by their opponent from Pot B. The same procedure will be followed for all 22 ties.
SECOND PHASE DRAW
• The 22 winners from the first phase will be joined by 10 teams from the 2020 CONMEBOL Libertadores.
• The second phase draw will take place on May 13th.
• The 16 second phase winners will advance to the round of 16.
The teams will be divided into 2 pots. The 10 teams that have qualified via the CONMEBOL Libertadores will be joined by the 6 teams with the best performance in the first phase in Pot 1. Pot 2 will consist of the remaining 16 teams that have advanced from the first phase.
The teams will be drawn into 16 ties, referred to as O1-O16.
In this phase, teams from the same country can be drawn together.
ROUND OF 16
The winner of each second phase tie will be placed into the Round of 16 bracket and given a corresponding "seed" based on their tie from the second phase. The ties will be bracketed as follows:
In the Round of 16, the team with the higher "seed" will host the second leg.
The 8 winners will advance to the quarterfinals as seeded along the bracket. In the quarterfinals, the team with the higher "seed" will host the second leg.
The 4 quarterfinal winners will advance to the semifinals as seeded across the bracket. In the semifinals, the team with the higher "seed" will host the second leg.
The 2020 CONMEBOL Sudamericana Final will be held on November 7th in Córdoba.